Before you start any work in a non-domestic building, structure or plant that might contain asbestos (e.g. built or refurbished before 2000), you are legally required to identify whether asbestos is present and determine its type and condition (Control of Asbestos Regulations).
People responsible for maintenance of non-domestic premises have a ‘duty to manage’ the asbestos in them, and should be able to provide information on where any asbestos is located and what condition it is in.
If no information is available or it is limited and you suspect asbestos may be present you should have it surveyed.
The purpose of the asbestos survey is to make a ‘material assessment’. This means:-
- To find asbestos containing materials and record what it is, where it is, and how much there is.
- To record how accessible the asbestos containing material is, its condition, and any surface treatment.
- To record the asbestos type by sampling or presuming.
Rod Munro Limited can undertake both Management and Pre Refurbishment / Demolition Asbestos Surveys using our own in-house experienced and fully trained asbestos surveyors.ith the legal requirement but also assist them in prioritising further remedial or removal works.
The Management Survey aims to ensure that :-
- Nobody is harmed by the continuing presence of the asbestos containing material in the premise or equipment.
- That the asbestos containing material remains in good condition
- That nobody disturbs the asbestos containing material accidentally.
The survey will locate the asbestos containing materials that could be damaged or disturbed by normal activities, by foreseeable maintenance, or by installing new equipment. It involves minor intrusion and minor asbestos disturbance to make a material assessment.
The Refurbishment / Demolition Survey is required where the premises or plant need upgrading, refurbishment or demolition.
The Refurbishment / Demolition Survey aims to ensure that:-
- Nobody will be harmed by work on asbestos containing materials in the premises or equipment.
- Such work will be done by the right contractor in the right way.
- The Refurbishment / Demolition Survey will locate, identify and quantify all asbestos containing materials within the specified area or plant, the survey must be carried out prior to any disruptive works commencing.
On completion of each survey a fully detailed survey report with material assessment, photographs, drawings and recommendation’s is provided, this will ensure our clients compliance with the legal requirement but also assist them in prioritising further remedial or removal works.